Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing
VAPT Certification is the art of finding vulnerabilities and digging deep to seek out what proportion a target can be compromised, just in case of a legitimate attack. A penetration test will involve exploiting the network, servers, computers, firewalls, etc., to uncover vulnerabilities and highlight the practical risks involved with the identified vulnerabilities.
Stages of Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing
Penetration testing Certification can be broken down into multiple phases; this will vary depending on the organization and the type of test conducted– internal or external. Let’s discuss each phase:
- Agreement phase.
- Planning and reconnaissance.
- Gaining Access.
- Maintaining access.
- Evidence collection and report generation.
Why Are Penetration Test Certification Important?
They can offer security personnel real expertise in dealing with an intrusion.
A penetration test Certification should be done without informing workers and will allow management to check whether or not its security policies are truly effective.
A penetration test Certification can be imagined much like a fire drill. It will uncover aspects of a security policy that are lacking. For example, several security policies provide a lot of focus on preventing and detecting an attack on management systems but neglect the process of evicting an attacker.
You may uncover during a penetration test Certification that whilst your organization detected attacks, that security personnel couldn’t effectively take away the attacker from the system in an efficient way before they caused damage.
They provide feedback on the most at-risk routes into your company or application. Penetration testers think outside of the box, and will try to get into your system by any means possible, as a real-world attacker would.This could reveal immeasurable of major vulnerabilities your security or development team never considered.The reports generated by penetration tests Certification give you with feedback on prioritizing any future security investment.
Penetration testing Certification reports can be used to help train to reduce mistakes.If developers can see however an outside attacker broke into an application or part of an application they’ll help to develop, they will be very much more motivated towars their security education and avoid creating similar errors in the future.
Types of Penetration Testing Based on Knowledge of the Target:
When the attacker does not know the target, it is referred to as a black box penetration test. This type requires a lot of time and the pen-tester uses automated tools to find vulnerabilities and weak spots.
When the penetration tester is given the complete knowledge of the target, it is called a white-box penetration test. The attacker has complete knowledge of the IP addresses, controls in place, code samples, operating system details, etc. It requires less time when compared to black-box penetration testing.
When the tester is having half info about the target, it is referred to as gray box penetration testing. In this case, the attacker will have some knowledge of the target information like URLs, IP addresses, etc., but will not have complete knowledge or access.
Types of Penetration Testing Based on the Position of Tester:
- If the penetration test is conducted from outside the network, it is referred to as external penetration testing
- the attacker is present inside the network, simulation of this scenario is referred to as internal penetration testing
- Targeted testing is usually performed by the organization’s IT team and the Penetration Testing team working together
- In a blind penetration test, the penetration tester is provided with no prior information except the organization name
- In a double-blind test, at max, only one or two people within the organization might be aware that a test is being conducted
Types of Penetration testing based on where it is performed:
Network Penetration Testing
Network Penetration Testing activity aims at discovering weaknesses and vulnerabilities related to the network infrastructure of the organization. It involves, firewall configuration & bypass testing, Stateful analysis testing, DNS attacks, etc. Most common software packages which are examined during this test include:
- Secure Shell(SSH)
- SQL Server
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol(SMTP)
- File Transfer Protocol
Application Penetration Testing
In Application Penetration Testing, penetration tester checks, if any security vulnerabilities or weaknesses are discovered in web-based applications. Core application components such as ActiveX, Silverlight, and Java Applets, and APIs are all examined. Therefore this kind of testing requires a lot of time.
Wireless Penetration Testing
In Wireless Penetration Testing, all of the wireless devices which are used in a corporation are tested. It includes items such as tablets, notebooks, smartphones, etc. This test spots vulnerabilities in terms of wireless access points, admin credentials, and wireless protocols.
Social Engineering Test involves attempting to get confidential or sensitive information by purposely tricking an employee of the organization. You have two subsets here.
- Remote testing – involves tricking an employee to reveal sensitive information via an electronic means
- Physical testing – involves the use of a physical means to gather sensitive information, like threaten or blackmail an employee
Client-Side Penetration Testing
The purpose of this type of testing is to identify security issues in terms of software running on the customer’s workstations. Its primary goal is to search and exploit vulnerabilities in client-side software programs. For example, web browsers (such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari), content creation software packages (such as Adobe Framemaker and Adobe RoboHelp), media players, etc.
For more information about Penetration Testing Certification Body and the role we can play in your efforts to achieve certification to it, feel free to contact us. To get started with the certification process, you can also request a quote.
How to Apply
- Finalize the product for which you need to obtain certification like different products or same product with range to be certified
- Contact us with the completed Application form to discuss about the details of certification.
- Submission of first documentation by manufacturer/trader (Based on Certification standard, including test certificates)
- Ensure that the documentation fulfill the compliance requirement.
- Audit the product to ensure the product meets the standard requirements.
- Submission of final documentation along with additional clarifications, if any.
- Final document evaluation and recommendation.
- Award of certification of Compliance.
To know more
Click here to know more about the detailed Product Certification Procedure
Kindly contact us to have a free discussion about the certification for your organization! Request a quote now!